For far too long, the government’s data assets have been locked away in siloed systems, in less-than-ideal formats and with little incentive for agencies to share data across bureaus or with the public. But that’s changing. The open data movement is driving government to make its data more accessible to the public in formats that people can use. As a result, entrepreneurs and everyday citizens are developing applications that benefit both the public and government.
Agencies are realizing that open data leads to better citizen engagement, increased transparency around government operations and better decision-making. Open data is empowering government officials and citizens to make informed decisions about health care, sustainability and transportation issues. Making data open and accessible to the public enables the government to tap into the knowledge and expertise that exists far beyond its walls. The benefits are endless.
Clearly, it’s more important than ever to understand how to implement and benefit from open data at your organization. That’s why GovLoop has created this Open Data Fundamentals Course.
By taking this course, you will:
- Learn about what open data is and its history
- How open data has impacted government at all levels
- Interesting ways government is using and applying open data
- The best ways you can use open data to engage your community>
- Kevin Merritt, CEO & Founder, Socrata
- Bob Runge, Director, Socrata
- Saf Rabah, Vice President of Product, Socrata
Please also visit these additional resources:
Thank you to Socrata for their support of this public sector resource.